Aside from the traditional Greek spinach pie (spanakopita), and cheese pie (tiropita), Greeks enjoy using phyllo to make many other savoury pies! This delicious pepper pie recipe includes feta cheese, caramelized onions, garlic, peppers and mushrooms sprinkled with rosemary and enclosed in crunchy phyllo goodness!
- 12 sheets of store bought phyllo
- 2 red bell peppers, julienned
- 2 yellow peppers, julienned
- 2 orange peppers, julienned
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup of feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large skillet over medium- high heat. Saute onion, garlic, peppers and mushrooms with seasonings of ground pepper and rosemary. When vegetables have soften and caramelized, take skillet off of the heat. Lightly brush a casserole dish with olive oil. Line the bottom of the dish with 6 sheets of phyllo, brushing each sheet with olive oil. Fold any excess phyllo that may be over lapping the dish in over the vegetables. Top with the remaining phyllo, brushing each with olive oil and and tuck edges into the dish. Bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes, until the top is golden brown.