Greek lentil soup is full of incredible health properties but best of all- it’s deliciously savoury and warms the soul! It’s one of the oldest traditional Greek dishes dating back to the ancient days. Here is my family recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 cups small dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stocks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 8 cups of water
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- balsamic or red wine vinegar (for drizzling over top of soup- optional)
- feta cheese (for crumbling over top of soup- optional)
In a large pot heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Sauté onion, garlic, celery and carrots. When the vegetables have softened, stir in the lentils, tomatoes, bay leaf, and oregano. Then add the water and season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Cover pot and lower heat to medium- low and simmer for 30 min. Serve with a drizzle of vinegar and or crumbled feta cheese.